Friday, August 12, 2011

Copycat Scarf

Last weekend we went from beautiful, sunny, hot skies to cold, grey, and rainy all within a day.  Of course the lack of sunshine got me a bit down and I figured I had better start thinking about my fall wardrobe.

So, even though today's tutorial is a little ahead of the season it could easily be altered to make something much more light and summery for you~

All you need is a T-shirt and a pair of scissors.


Steps:
1) Lay your T-shirt out on a flat surface and cut a straight line from under one arm hole to the other.


You should have something that looks like this:


 You can toss away the top part with the neckline and arm holes, or save it for another project, we're only going to use the bottom portion.

2) Rotate your tube so that the bottom of the t-shirt is farthest away from you and the edge that you just cut is closest to you.

3) Now you just need to cut long skinny strips up to about the 1/2 or 2/3 point.  My strips are about a half inch wide.


4) Continue that all the way along the width of your tube.


5) And now comes the fun part.  Stretch each little strip down so that it curls into itself and is even longer, skinnier, and fringier.


6) And voila!  You're done.  Just slip it on over your head and if it's big enough, double it up.  Now you have a new and stylish scarf!

DIY Scarf, No sew scarf, Easy Craft, Fringe Scarf, fringe, T-shirt Scarf


I call this the copycat scarf because it's not my idea at all.  In fact, I found it in my suggested videos to watch on YouTube.  You can check out the video below with Erica Domesek from P.S. I Made This...

      
   
Happy fringing everyone!!  Have a great weekend and don't forget to check out the linky party tab up top along with the Follow my Friends tab~

14 comments:

Gen said...

Oh cool! so simple even I could give it a go! thanks,

Mlissabeth said...

This is really cute, and it looks so quick and easy. I think I will try one this weekend.

WobiSobi said...

I love this!! !!!

Shona said...

This is so cute and very stylish! Thanks for sharing! I tweeted!

Unknown said...

Awesome scarf tutorial! Super cute! I'd love for you to link up at my Tuesday Tutorials Link Party! :)

http://www.thekurtzcorner.com/2011/08/tuesday-tutorials-link-party-no2.html

Fonda @Southern Scraps said...

Cute. I need to give this a try!

Jessica at Me Sew Crazy said...

how cool!

Beth @ Through the Eyes of the Mrs. said...

I'm so going to do this! Super cute and good for a budget. Come by www.throughtheeyesofthemrs.com

Betsy said...

It looks amazing! Great job!

Katy said...

Cute!!! I've never seen this before, and I'm obsessed with scarves so this is just perfect!

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

Love this post! Hope you'll link it and any other craft like this that is perfect for teens to our "Crafts for Under Twenty Somethings" party tomorrow!


Melanie
bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

Brit said...

Great scarf! I have woke up the last three mornings and put on a sweatshirt ;) It's coming! Thanks for the tutorial, even if it wasn't your idea ;)
Britney
www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

Laurie in SC said...

Love this, so much in fact, that you inspired me to make my own version and blog about it here:

http://sceneofthegrime.blogspot.com/2011/08/diy-easy-fringy-eternity-scarf.html

And, of course, I linked my readers back to your post as my inspiration! So, thanks so much for teaching me (us) to make these great, fashionable accessories!!!

Love
Laurie
Scene of Sublime

Sofie V said...

Hi,

What a pretty scarf! I made one myself. What do you think about it?

http://knutselen-met-sofieke.blogspot.com/2011/08/sjaal-met-franjes-fringe-scarf.html

Greetings Sofieke

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...